Monday, July 23, 2007

As You Go....



It's not necessary to have an evangelistic night or a specific set time to go out and release God's love. Matthew 10:7 implores us to do the things Jesus did "as you go". So as we go about doing our normal things, we can reach the lost with a simple hug, act of kindness, and an offer of prayer. It's amazing how offering to pray for someone can brighten the day of any one, lost or saved, and somehow this enables them to feel the love of Jesus being released to them from you. Give it a try...you'll see.

A few weeks ago, I went to the hospital to visit one of my dad's church members named Pauline who was suffering from a kidney infection. This dear sweet lady is in her early eighties and is as sharp as a tack. In fact, we went on a church retreat recently to a lake house, and Pauline was kind enough to teach my boys how to properly bait a hook. Frank was at work, so he wasn't there to assist in this delicate procedure...and speaking of delicate....that just pretty much describes me and my stomach for some such baiting matters. So I was genuinely grateful for Pauline's expertise in the fishing department. :) And moderately grossed out.

After we visited with her, my dad and I were on our way to the parking lot when we came across a man sitting on a bench outside the hospital. He looked sad and lonely, so we spoke with him a bit and then found out his father was in ICU. We had the privilege of praying for his father, and for this man's strength. And although he was already a believer and loved the Lord, he was deeply, DEEPLY moved by the touch from God, as well as strengthened in his faith for God to move in his life.

After a while we found ourselves at Walmart where there was a lady sitting in a wheel chair at the deli. The Lord prompted me to go over and speak to her. In the course of our conversation I found out she was a believer, in fact when I asked her if she knew Jesus, she said, "He and I are old friends." I think she was in her eighties. She appreciated the love and affection, and the attention, that God gave her through a regular person standing in line at the deli. That's all it takes.

At our Walmart, in recent weeks, we have had a group stand in front of the door soliciting for funds for the homeless. The ironic thing was that there was a man at the corner of the street who WAS homeless. He had a typical sign requesting money and stating he was homeless and hungry. I noticed him outside as I went in, and got him a meal at the deli where I was praying for that sweet little friend of Jesus. Anyway, I left the store and went to the man and gave him the food and a drink. He started to cry and when I asked him a few questions, I realized that he was mentally retarded. He had a bunch of ant bites on his leg, so I prayed with him about that, gave him a hug (held my breath cause boy did he smell!) and he thanked me over and over and continued to cry.

When I left, I got this image in my mind of a little boy born to an excited set of parents, only to discover their brand new bundle of joy was not quite right. I imagined them later taking him to physicians to determine a diagnosis. I could see them later enrolling him in school for the special classes. Then I caught a glimpse of him maybe 5 years ago, in his late 40s, at a funeral for his parents, and no one left to continue to care for him. He was all alone, no one to tell him what to do next. And there he was, surviving the best way that he could. You know, when these mentally retarded children grow up and their parents pass away, what happens to them if they don't have anyone to tell them what to do next?

I'm telling you these stories of a day filled with "as you go" examples in an effort to encourage you and inspire YOU to get out of the four walls and be Jesus to the world. This is supposed to be normal Christianity! Love them to life!



No comments: